* Rule #1: Always have clear lines of ownership. Know exactly what you are supposed to do and ensure others know that exactly.
* Rule #2: Always have your act together. You can’t know everything, but what you can know try to know it well.
* Rule #3: Under promise, over deliver. You will always come out on top.
* Rule #4: Never make yourself indispensable. If you do you’ll stay where you are because you are, well, indispensable.
* Rule #5: Credibility is king. Period.
* Rule #6: Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference. You can teach anyone anything, you can never teach right attitude.
* Rule #7: If you find yourself in a hole the first thing to do is stop digging. Old cowboy saying.
* Rule #8: “Skate to where the puck is going, not to where it is (or where it has been).” The Great One, Wayne Gretzky.
* Rule #9: At the end of the day always remember that it’s just a job.
You can refer to the original article by Avinash Kaushik that contain brief discussion of all above rules.