Wednesday, November 05, 2008

End of Windows 3.x


Can you remember Windows 3.0??? One of the first UI based OS we have used. I can still remember the first day I hahve used windows 3.1 in a home of my friend. The first graphical experience, by typing an DOS command and start GUI with few tools and use the PaintBrush to draw an image. Sill remember the first drawing I had using Windows 3.0.

But this article is not about how I used Windows 3.x to draw an image. Its about the end of Windows 3.x by Microsoft by stopping the issue of licence for it. Windows 3.x started in May 1990 and from 1st of November 2008 Microsoft has stop the issuing of licence for it.

Good bye Windows 3.x. Truely its an end of an era.

reference: BBC News

~ Vidula Hasaranga - විදුල හසරංග ~


1 comment:

Leo Sadeepa said...

Thanks Vidula for reminding us about the past. I can well remember my friend who had Windows 3.1 machine (we didnt had computers at that time) guarded it as a treasure. :) We even had to remove our shoes before entering the computer room.

As i can remember we got to type win at dos prompt to load windows 3.1 . It was really fancy , however i had little chance to work with windows 3.1 as most of the computers soon switched to windows 95.

As vidula says , goodbye Win 3.1

Share/Bookmark